Monday, October 24, 2011

Pushed into Supine Pushing Positions

When I was thinking about getting pregnant with my second baby, I visited my OB, Dr. Brian Wolsey, that "delivered" my first baby.  I had been gathering lots of information and knew I would do things differently with the second baby.  One of the questions I asked him was how he felt about me pushing in a different position besides flat on my back.  He got down on the floor (in his very nice clothes), and on one knee, contorted his body, and while looking and reaching up, said, "Well, it's kind of hard to catch a baby in this position."  He was more concerned with his comfort than mine when it came to pushing my baby out.

I never returned to his office.  

This is an important question to ask your care provider. The answer should be a respectful "Let's see how you feel when it comes time to push.  The benefits to using gravity and an upright position are ...    An example of when you might not want to use gravity is ..."

I've had a number of people return to class saying things like, "My doctor said I can hang from the rafters for all he cares" or "I can squat on the floor like I'm in the jungle!"  They seem happy with these responses, but in reality, your doctor is making fun of you.  He thinks its undignified and foolish.

If I am an OB -- or even a Certified Nurse Midwife -- working in a hospital, chances are, approximately 90% of the births I attend is with an epidural.  The mom is mostly on her back.  Like it or not, this is how I get used to catching babies.  This is what I am comfortable with.  Even to have a mom on hands and knees, well, this looks different to me, and I am not as comfortable with this situation.  I will find a way to get this mom on her back.  I will give her lots of excuses that sound really good, such as, "The baby is caught on the pubic bone and I need you to lean back."


If a woman is left alone to choose her birthing position, very often she will use gravity in some form or another.  Rarely will she lay flat on her back to push her baby out.  Squatting, for example, is known to widen the pelvis up to 30%.  Many OBs will not suggest a mom get up and squat, but instead, will cut an episiotomy to get the baby out quicker.  Or worse, perform a c-section because her hips were "too small."

I simply wanted to let women know that what position you birth your baby in is your choice.  This seems common sense, right?  I routinely hear women talk about their doctor wanting them in a certain position when it comes time to push.  Pushing while flat on her back can cause more problems that it fixes.  The only person benefiting from this position is the OB. 

When you ask your care provider this important question, listen for silly answers that are really meant to make fun of you.  Listen for responses that put his/her comfort above your own.  The good answers are the ones that inform and respect you and your comfort.  Follow what your body is telling you to do.  Don't let them push you around when it comes to pushing your baby out!  



No comments:

Speak Your Mind

Powered By Blogger · Designed By Seo Blogger Templates