Sunday, March 7, 2010

"I Trust My Doctor!"

Every morning, I visit my local Race Trac to fill my mug for the day. The people that work there have a very vague idea of what I do for a living -- something with childbirth.

One of the male employees told me, months ago, that he and his wife were expecting their first baby. He was so excited. I asked him where they were planning to give birth. I informed him that particular hospital has a 60% c-section rate, but there are other options in the area. He explained that their doctor was the doctor that delivered him as a baby.

The months went by and every now and then, he'd give me a report of how much time was left until they met their baby. I would gently remind him that the baby (a girl) didn't know exactly what day she was expected. It could be a couple of weeks later. He would shake his head in denial.

Last Monday morning, he reported that they were getting checked to see if she was "progressing." I told him that I had been a "zero" and in labor 14 hours later. Likewise, I've had students that have been dilated to a 5, 6, even a 7 and not been in labor! The vaginal exam means nothing and would put her on an emotional roller coaster. Again, he shook his head and said they wanted to know.

The next morning, I asked him what they found out. He said they were being induced the next day. I told him that she was more than twice as likely to have a c-section with an induction. He said that she was having a c-section! Obviously, he did not understand the difference between an induction and a c-section! Of course, I asked why the scheduled c-section and he happily reported that his baby was "too big."

From this point on, I wish I could have seen this scene from above! I was practically chasing him around the store trying to give him information about the things that happen in labor to help the baby make its way out. (Truly, a Banned From Baby Showers moment for me!) I was telling him that women are being told their babies are too big everyday, but only 1/2500 women actually have babies that are "too big" to fit through the pelvis. He was moping the floor and literally backing away from me and hiding behind things. I actually said to him at one point, "Will you stop and listen?!" At this point, he looked at me and said, "I trust my doctor!!"

I walked to the register, shaking my head, paid for my drink, and got in my car. My 13-year-old son got an earful! I was so proud of him when he said, "How did babies get out for millions of years before c-sections?"

The next morning, the other employees reported that the couple had had the baby and she was a whopping 7 pounds! There were some ounces added after the 7 pounds, but no one could remember what they were. Let's just say, for the sake of argument, it was 15 ounces, the maximum without tipping the scale to an even 8 lbs. Is this baby too big?! I am less than 5'3" and I gave birth to two 8 lb babies. I don't think anyone would think this baby is "too big." So curious what the doctor said to this young couple...

So, now what? They are a victim of the system and don't even realize it. Maybe that is a good thing. She never experienced any labor and neither did her baby. She wasn't even due yet. She will very likely have problems with breastfeeding, if she wanted to at all. A mom who has a c-section is only half as likely to breastfeed. The implications are so far reaching for the mom's health as well as the baby's, not to mention any subsequent children they hope to have.

Bottom line -- I had nothing to gain by giving him information. I simply wanted them to trust her body, not her doctor. The doctor gained time and money by lying to her about "needing" a c-section. I actually shed a tear for this woman that I have never met. Total frustration. A doctor taking advantage of trusting parents-to-be and a young couple not getting information for themselves! They both are to blame. This is happening every day around us in every city across America. What are YOU going to do about it?

Myself, and 2 other Chapter Leaders, have started the Tarrant County Birth Network, a local chapter of BirthNetwork National, where expecting parents can get information about evidence-based care and the local care providers that abide by the Mother-Friendly guidelines established by the Coalition of Improving Maternity Services, or CIMS. Our first meeting is Thursday, March 11 at the downtown library in Ft. Worth from 6:00-8:00 p.m. We would like anyone who is interested in improving maternity care in the Ft. Worth area to join us. This first meeting we will explain what a Birth Network is, and from there, each month we'll discuss different topics relating to Mother-Friendly care.

Let's make a difference! If you are not in the Ft. Worth area, check out BirthNetwork National to see if there is a chapter in your area. If there is not, start one!

No comments:

Speak Your Mind

Powered By Blogger · Designed By Seo Blogger Templates