Monday, May 27, 2013

Shaving Cream Fun


Let's face it, who could really resist not smooshing their hand into a pile of shaving cream? The sprinkles on top just add to the temptation. 

When I asked my mum if we could use her glass table I just accidentally (on purpose) forgot to mention we were going to get my niece and nephew to smear it with shaving cream. They do think I'm slightly crazy but I'm learning to take that as a compliment. LOL 


His face says it all! 


It wasn't long before my niece and nephew began exploring the wonderful texture and spreading the shaving cream over the glass table. Of course this could also be done on a glass window! 

This shaving cream only cost me $2.20 at the supermarket. 
Cheap fun that can be educational!!!


Possum (17 months) wasn't really convinced of this activity and chose to poke at the shaving cream before wanting her hands wiped clean immediately after.

Some children can find such sensory experiences difficult, although I do believe it's important to provide them with the opportunity but not force them to partake. 



Squishing the cream between fingers was lots of fun. 

But...how can we learn from such an activity?


Once the shaving cream was spread out across the table I provided them with some free time. This is really important because it boosts creativity and develops sensory awareness.

MATHEMATICS
Depending on the age of the child you can use shaving cream to help develop many skills needed in number, spacial awareness, measurement and lots, lots more.  For smaller children it is also great for developing greater formation of the written number. 


Here my niece chose to draw me a wonderful cube! 

Questions I followed with were -
"Describe to me the features of a cube"
"How many faces does your cube have?"
"How many points does it have?"
"If I put a cube on the ground and stood above it, what shape would I see?"
"Where might I find a cube in our environment?"
"Can you draw your cube another way?"




Here I asked my nephew to tell me a number that was over 30. He initially chose 33. 

Questions I asked him - 
"What is 10 more than the number you chose? Can you draw it?" (see picture)
"How many bundles of 10 would I need to make the number you have drawn?"
"How many less than 50 is that?"

LITERACY


There are many, many ways that using shaving cream can also develop literacy skills. It's great because any mistakes can be simply wiped away. If the cream begins to stiffen then you just add more! 

Some simple ways shaving cream can help literacy skills - 
  • letter formation
  • revising spelling words
  • name practise
  • storytelling through pictures and words
  • fill in the missing letters etc
MORE FUN WITH SHAVING CREAM



We have all seen people adding food colouring. It felt a little overdone to me so I chose to add glitter! To be honest, the glitter didn't really look that noticable once it was blended into the cream, however, I liked that it would add a slightly grainy texture to the cream and heighten the sensory awareness of the activities. 


My niece and nephew had done such a great job and they no doubt had fun whilst learning at the same time. This is a great activity to try because it can always end with a game of noughts and crosses.


I hope you and your children enjoy this activity. 
Of course be guided by them and be sure to keep learning fun. 

Kate x
______________________________

I'd love to hear any comments you might have. 

Click here for another sensory related activity. 
Edible Finger Paint - Laughing Kids Learn
Cloud Jars - Learn with Play at Home 
Dragon Eggs - Adventures at Home with Mum

Also, be sure to follow 'Laughing Kids Learn' other ways. 


Icon Icon Icon Icon Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Speak Your Mind

Powered By Blogger · Designed By Seo Blogger Templates