Thursday, May 16, 2013

Teaching a boy to read... an update

I consider myself extremely blessed to be raising the child who is my firstborn son, my firstborn child, my first home educated child. But let me tell you, it is not without its challenges.

For starters, he is a kinasethic learner (the same as myself) and I was raised in the public school education with high emphasis on tests, testing, and doing all the work that was required. For me this meant I had the mentality that if my kid doesn't manage to complete a worksheet or a workbook then he is behind, not smart, not good enough, something is wrong with him. Thankfully I have broken out of that way of thinking and believing.

Being a home schooler, I had the mentality that because we had so much more time to 'do school' that my kid should be way ahead of school kids!! Sorry! However, it just did not seem to be that way. Oh we learnt and we learnt a lot, but we were not quite reading from text books and completing essays at the ripe old age of 5.

As my boy entered into his first registered grade one we hit the school books like never before, and failed miserably. We could get the worksheets done but the glazed look over his eyes told me that he was 'doing it right' with absolutely no comprehension of what we were doing or what it meant. He didn't get this reading business and it was really hard, for him, for me and therefore the rest of the household.

In utter disgrace and despair I called out to the God that I believe in, when am I meant to teach this kid how to read? and He told me clearly "next year". Throughout the rest of 2012 our family journeyed on in a natural learning, unschooling method type filled with family fun times and adventures. I worried that my boy would get behind, would be behind and not catch up, would not know as much as other kids his age but I rested in the knowledge that God knew best and He said next year.

We went to a homeschool 'conference' in Perth on our Family Holiday in 2012 run by Light Educational Ministries (LEM), where I came across the LEM Phonics program. I thought about getting the program but was mind-bent on another program that I already had at home. Months later I ended up purchasing the 12 month kit (plus additional workbooks for another child) which I had ready and waiting to use when the time came.

New year 2013 we got started with our new books, new learning, new method. Within a few days we were reading! I could hardly believe it. Within a few weeks we were finished with single phonograms and could read simple words, any simple word! Onto the next workbook multiple phonograms we could read just about ANY word. I could hardly believe it! We managed to cram an entire year of learning (Grade 1) into the time space of 3-4 months with FULL comprehension and interest. Although time wise it could have been a lot sooner with more focus and less natural learning/play time. 



For this kid learning the sounds and the spelling combinations that make sounds has been like a set of tools that have been laid out in front of him which he can now use freely. 


Did I mention that he can now read just about ANY word simply by sounding out the sounds according to the right spelling combinations? I am so impressed!! and so is his Papa ;)
On top of that I can put away the Grade One "stuff" because he has surpassed that level and it is too easy and too boring - for both of us. He is really proud of himself and knows that with a bit of work he can learn new skills, and skills that will help him to do so very many things.
Building my children's confidence in their abilities is rewarding.


5 Things I am Thankful for:
1. Having God to fall back on and ask for help
2. The time that we had without the formal 'reading' learning (we did other official school stuff)
3. Knowing the different learning styles, and specifically MY OWN
4. The journey of breaking out of particular styles or beliefs that I held
5. Personalised teaching methods to suit the individual student - to have results.


No comments:

Speak Your Mind

Powered By Blogger · Designed By Seo Blogger Templates