Monday, February 11, 2013

Felt Heart

I have to be honest, my mother bought me a sewing machine and I haven't even used it. 
(Sorry mum!)

The fact is that I'm not a machine sewer. Unlike my mother and possibly generations before me, I just don't have that skill to know what to do and how not to snap a needle. This disappoints me because I do worry that it's an art form that will one day disappear. 


I decided to give hand sewing a go and using felt to create this beautiful heart.

This can be a great craft for older children and make a great gift. 


Firstly, fold a piece of red felt in half and draw your heart shapes using a cookie cutter. 
Carefully cut them out and put them aside. 




Do the same with a lighter colour and use the inside of the cookie cutter as a template. 


Here I have used a thread with 6 strands. 
Be sure to do a double knot at the end of your strand. 


Begin hand sewing the lighter colour to the larger piece of felt. 
I used a looping type stitch. 


Once completed be sure to knot the thread at the back of the heart so it goes unseen. 


Once you have completed that step you can start to stitch the two larger hearts together. 


I decided to create a pocket at the top of my heart so I could insert a little Valentines Day message or chocolate for my loved one on Valentines Day. 


Happy Valentines Day. 

Kate

xxxxxx
__________________________



Thanks to the wonderful Bekka from 'Just For Daisy' for inspiring me to do this craft.
I thoroughly enjoyed it and will look forward to using felt more often. 

Feel free to make a comment as I LOVE to hear your thoughts. 



No comments:

Speak Your Mind

Powered By Blogger · Designed By Seo Blogger Templates