Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Quiet time

Papa & Jarah (3) during quiet time
Having multiple pregnancies and lots of LITTLE children has meant that for our home I have enforced a quiet time in the afternoon for the entire family.

Quiet time means a sleep for the baby and toddler that sleeps, and a QUIET time for the older children. 

Older children are required and taught to be separate from other siblings and do something quietly. 

Some days one or two may need an actual sleep, they will decide that and let us know, other times they need time away from others and other times they are allowed to read a book quietly, play a puzzle or game quietly or watch a mummy-approved DVD quietly. 

Some days I will pull one aside and they will rest near me or with me. 

As their parent and main care-giver I am aware of the emotional, physical and spiritual needs of each of my children, that means I know who needs one-on-one, I know who needs the actual sleep, I know which one or two is going to muck up during quiet time and I know what activities best suit what child. 

Being me, the pregnant one, the tired mum, I know what I need, if I just need a rest or peace and quiet or actual sleep and can fit the schedule in perfectly around the needs of all involved. 

So unfortunately its not fool proof, sometimes they muck around instead of doing the right thing, which extends quiet time and has a direct result on the afternoon's activities. 

Quiet time works for us because I set my babies to bed at 'quiet time' time for their own sleep, and rest accordingly. I do this for the brand new baby and it ends when they stop needing those day sleeps every day. 
This works for me because my babies don't fight the sleep thing and seem to learn that when they are in their bed its sleep time. Atleast the first four worked that way!!

5 Things I am Thankful for:
1. Quiet time
2. Babies who sleep and sleep according to my schedule
3. Babies and toddlers who go to sleep without crying and screaming and fighting
4. Children
5. A God who supplies everything I need.

Linked to: We Are That Family WFMW

No comments:

Speak Your Mind

Powered By Blogger · Designed By Seo Blogger Templates