Monday, March 4, 2013

Homeschooling through challenging times

Unfortunately for my heart I've had the seasons of absolute uncontrollable moments that go on seemingly forever. Adding a bountiful of beloved children all dependant on me for their basic needs to be met on a daily basis + home educating ontop of that.

I actively choose not to use day care and rarely have sitters to take care of my children so I can 'do something else'.

And yet it happens, and life goes on.

Today, I awoke with a head cold. Headache in the head, blocked runny nose, sore throat. All I want to do is lie in bed and rest up, but alas I have jobs to do!

Here's the stats:

  • 34 weeks pregnant
  • 4 kids to care for aged 1-7
  • Home School work to complete
  • Catch up house work to do
  • Meals to prepare
  • A Birthday party to plan + buy gifts
  • Two kids who are unwell but still fighting fit
Yep, and I'm the Mum, which means it is all up to me. 

So here's what you can do... 

Pull Back
Your children will not be seriously damaged in the long run if you don't pull out the playdough or offer a sensory bin for exploration, nor will they lose a job promotion because they didn't finish off a pile of worksheets or finish a particular curriculum. Pull back and have a "rest" day. 

Prioritise
Decide what is the MOST important aspect is and stick with that. Definitely do not try to do everything.

Screens for Learning
We do not own a Television. I have a strict DVD only Policy where the Movies are always monitored... by me. 
Just as the term 'living books' is thrown around in the home education world, so is 'living DVDs' amongst my home. Meaning, if it is not educational or beneficial in some sort of way it is not watched or used. Sorry Disney Fans! 
That means that I can comfortably sit a crew of little kids in front of an educational DVD and they get their dose of Science, Social Studies, Technology, History, Biology, Geology. 
I am not meaning that is ALL they do either!

Washing
Let it slide for another day

Kitchen
Do what needs to be done

Nappies
Please don't let them go for another day ;) 

Unschool
Children if left to their own devices can become interested in self-taught activities. Now I am not meaning let them parent themself and get away with all sorts of incredibly negative behaviours, Not at all. No one enjoys unruly children. What I mean is, allow them to play or offer them to do an activitiy that you know is going to keep them busy but still learning without your input. 
My guys like colouring in, playing outside in the sandpit, exploring kits or building things. Other children like playing Duplo and Cars. You would be surprised at what children can do on their own.



School Year Round
Whilst most schools educate during school times, we don't have 'school breaks'. Which confuses many during school holidays when they ask if we are enjoying school holidays. That means we can have days off without impacting our 'set work' for the year. Does this mean we have our head stuck in books EVERY day? Nar.. Natural Learning, Learning Through Life, Unschooling. We learn everyday!

School Ahead
When the conditions are right we keep working ahead. That is certainly a benefit to home schooling. Currently I have 1 daughter who is only *cough* 3 months ahead in her maths work. That means she won't be falling behind any time soon in that area. 

Be Flexible
Change your routine, change your rhythm, change your to do list! Adapt to your families needs for THIS day.

Quiet Time 
Our household wouldn't survive well without quiet time. Especially being pregnant. Our family have been doing quiet times since we had two kids. Actually one. When a child stops their arvo nap they move into quiet time. Actually they transition naturally from some days with sleep some days without sleeps. 
Quiet time is a learned behaviour so don't expect it to just fall perfectly into place. Practice makes perfect.

Rest
The point of pulling back on your regular activities is so you can fit into it REST. Look after yourself, drink loads of water, eat healthy, lie down and chill. Even if that means laying on the couch with a group of children playing on the floor beneath you. Let them know you feel unwell and need a bit of quiet so they can learn to think about other people other than themselves. 


Meals
Having ready-to-go meals in the freezer is always a wise decision. One that I currently do not have.
In the past, through natural experiences and child-led initiatives I have managed to teach my older children how to cook some meals. With minimal help he can make pancakes, and put a heap of food into the oven too cook. Children can work together to create a meal for all the siblings without me when needed. If you are wondering, they usually do it cheerfully and pridefully. Especially when you acknowledge who prepared this meal at the dinner table.

After Meal Clean Up
From very young ages I have been 'training' children to remove their own plates off the table, eventually moving into stacking the chairs, putting food away, wiping the table and sweeping the floor. Even our 23 month old helps and has been for many months. She likes to put dirty dishes onto the bench and put her high chair back. She can even help set the table but you have to find the fork ;)
She will even wipe her dirty patch of table if you give her a cloth. All. Cheerfully.
The other kids get a bit sick of it but they usually do it without too much fuss and grumbling.

This list is certainly not extensive, it works in our family for the time being and is adapted according to family needs at the time.

So now that I am finished writing, I think I am going to go take my own advice. Lots of water and lots of rest while children find their own learning to do.
(As I type this one is creating a book with an alphabet stencil at the art table, another is checking out the calender and counting days)


5 Things I am Thankful for:
1. Peace and Rest
2. Unschooling still being educational
3. Not having HEAPS of school work to do!
4. Schooling Year Round
5. Teaching and Training children in the past, that has given me this kind of freedom in the present

No comments:

Speak Your Mind

Powered By Blogger · Designed By Seo Blogger Templates