Thursday, March 28, 2013

Preparing for Baby Arrival - Products we love

Being our 5th baby into our parenting journey I am well aware of the products out there and what is actually needed or rather what we actually use. Basically, not much is needed but every business and company out there is telling you that you require long lists of items. I am no longer convinced.
Plus, having a smaller than most sized house meant no room for extra fancy stuff, so I passed it all on.

Here's my (needed) list (for our 5th)
# 0000/000 clothing in an unknown gender

Wow, that was huge wasn't it!!

Here's what we've got:

Baby Sling - it is like an essential baby item for us

# Pram

#Infant Carrier (Capsule) (the thing on the top - goes straight into the car)

# Bassinet

# Changing mat to sit on a set of drawers that will hold nappies
# Nappies (Disposables and NB Cloth)
# Wipes
# Clothing in various sizes, but not a lot
# Cot sheets
# Baby Blankets
# Too many toys
# Too many books
# An over-abundance of love, from FIVE other people!
# Avent Breast pump + bottles that I don't plan to need OR use
# Cloth Breast Pads

Product Journey over near 8 years
Over the years I have managed to streamline our actual needs for the newborn baby, we don't REALLY need much at all. Testing many things out there I usually end up giving them away when I have finished with them.

With my last baby I was blessed enough to score a swing chair and a baby bouncer for next to nothing. Both did what was required for their short periods of time before I gave them both away.

I can now look through a 'baby shopping guide' magazine in under 5 minutes and be done, needing nothing, knowing nothing new.

We don't buy
# Baby soaps and shampoo. Soap strips the natural oil from the babies skin, then they need to be moisturized or their skin goes dry. It's a catch isn't it.
# Baby oil. Baby oil is a derivative of petroleum oil. Yeah, Im not so keen to put that onto my baby skin
# Sorbelene Cream, also a derivative of petroleum oil.
# Johnson & Johnson products - they all have nasty chemicals in them
# Cheap bum cream. Doesn't work! We go cornflour or bepathen
# Bonjella. I hear that bonjella is the worst! We use SM33 recomended by several chemists
# Brand new clothing with ticket prices of over $30. Why? Well, we can't afford to spend that much on a single outfit that won't get worn out
# Cot sheets, we've never needed to, ever! And I am always culling out stash
# Fancy baby toys, also never needed to



5 Things I am Thankful for:
1. Having a car with one long seat free for the baby
2. Having everything that we need already - with exception of clothing
3. Not knowing if we are having  a girl baby or a boy baby
4. That we've been blessed once again :)
5. That baby capsule! Its so amazing carrying the bub in the carrier rather than waking a baby to go inside and always having a safe place for bub to be AND the part it fits directly into the pram meaning it doesn't need carrying, just pushing

No comments:

Speak Your Mind

Powered By Blogger · Designed By Seo Blogger Templates