Tuesday, March 19, 2013

L.O.T.E. (Baby) Sign Language

Avigail's first sign "food"
Baby Sign 
Not a new concept for our family, although we do not integrate it into all aspects of life nor do we use it knowingly on a daily basis. Going on... 4-5 years now and I find I still use it to communicate with our babies. 

As a baby hits a developmental period (between 1 & 3 years of age) where they try to communicate with you and get frustrated at your lack of listening skills (ha!) we begin to get a breakdown in communication between babe and adult and many meltdowns begin. 

I have found that many (not all) meltdowns can be prevented by teaching and using just a couple simple  hand gestures to your tiny tot. 

Here is a very quick list:
Food - Bring your fingers to your mouth as if your putting food into it
Drink - holding an imaginary cup tilt the cup at your mouth
Toilet - place your thumb between your index and forefinger and shake slightly
No - like a crocodile snapping with one hand very fast (Others use a fist and shake from left to right)
Yes - with a fist make it 'nod'
Please - with an open hand rub a circle on your chest
Thank You - With the tips of your fingers (palm towards your face and flattened) move your hand away from your face
Sorry - with a fist rub a circle on your chest (Like please but with a fist)

Lots of Links:
The original site where *I* learnt many of the signs we know today is uhm... lost in cyberspace. There are loads of NEW sites now available with full looking programs! Personally I am uninterested in a full program, enjoying what we already know now. I wouldn't use it (unless I had to iykwim).
Google "Baby Sign Language" or click here.
Or try youtube

A short Testimony
Many years ago, my then 3 year old, would have many meltdowns. I can tell you that he was HARD WORK! He would talk and communicate with me, but not with anyone else. But he wouldn't ALWAYS communicate with me. I even considered him for Autism, ADD, ADHD, or some other disability. Seeking wisdom from other parents who had children with these things, they said he doesn't have it. And they were right!
Anyway, one day we were having a meltdown crisis where I sought the Lord in despair. 
Was I failing as a parent? It sure felt like I was. I asked "What am I meant to do with him?" 
I felt the soft gentle answer "Baby Sign Language". I immediately googled baby sign language, clicked on a link and looked for a few words. This link had videos of a baby doing the sign, all we had to do was watch and copy. I then brought my child to the computer where we learnt 3 new signs in 30 minutes and he suddenly began TALKING. For us during that time was incredible progress, and the added unknown bonus for us was he started talking. Please not that he COULD talk he was choosing NOT TO. We have never had a problem with speech again. 
From memory the words were Please, Thank You and Sorry. 

Honestly parents, these things are too easy to not learn. 

Disclaimer: I am no speech pathologist, I am a parent. I found this to work for US, it may not work for you. Some say that teaching sign language hinders language development, I have never seen or heard or experienced it to be true. If you are concerned for your child's speech development see a professional, or seek the Lord for yourself. I know he is listening and ready to answer ;)

5 Things I am Thankful for:1. Seeking the Lord, Receiving and answer Unique to us
2. Being able to use the skills from that experience on all four children (so far)
3. Communicating non-verbally with babies
4. Clear communications on their wants and needs
5. Less meltdowns and upsets, for both adult and babe



No comments:

Speak Your Mind

Powered By Blogger · Designed By Seo Blogger Templates