Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Blessing of having a Mother-in-Law who homeschooled

Hubby spent a bit of time homeschooling here and a bit of time there homeschooling and a bit more later on. The rest of the time he attended either a public or private school.

MIL spent many many years home educating an additional 8 children. Some have now left home and are fending for themselves, the rest are attending private schools.

As a direct result of this fact, I have my very own 'go-to-girl' when I have specific homeschool question, especially considering she knows my children and also their father.

With experience comes knowledge and hindsight.



The Financial benefit to our family means what she no longer uses I can use, her 'homeschool library' is disposable to us and we have free curriculum.

We have access to the entire Maths U See Curriculum, as well as the entire Learning Language Arts Through Literature (LLATL) Curriculum, although I don't use the LLATL on a WHOLE I have read and used some of the content and worksheets. The LLATL books are some of the readers that we use also. Likewise the booklist for the LLATL is great living books that are enjoyed by most of us.
I also have an entire set of Society and the Environment books and more Science books than one really could use :)

Even though I don't use them as an everyday curriculum I can easily mix and match and pull apart what we will use and have a constant supply of 'what others are doing' at my disposal. So Awesome!!

For our family this means that 'school funds' can then be spent on other things! Like building our own home library, purchasing other studies or learning equipment or not spending at all.

5 Things I am Thankful for:
1. Family support in home education
2. Having had someone go before me
3. Free School Books and Resources
4. Being able to use finances in other areas
5. Hubby knowing a little about home education through life experiences

No comments:

Speak Your Mind

Powered By Blogger · Designed By Seo Blogger Templates