Monday, January 28, 2013

So do you actually like home schooling your kids???

was the question I was asked just the other day to which I responded over-enthusiasticly with such great emphasis with the nod of my head I think I may have whip lash.

But just in case said question asker didn't get the hint I also announced I absolutely love it just about more than anything else.

See, homeschooling is one of the things in my life that gives me joy on the inside.
My children are another. Adding them together and it is one giant joyful learning experience.

It has been a year. A year since we 'started' official book work type schooling.

It's funny though. Because I started 'official' schooling when I decided my temper tanty extra-strong-willed-child had too much free time and needed more 'direction' on what kind of activities were less messy and more suitable for all involved. He was 4years old. His sister was 2yrs old.

I had all sorts of 'work' ready and found my 2yr old stealing his worksheets out of his file. So I had to get her things to do. She sat up at the table next to him and in front of me drawing away.

Schooling became a new challenge in my life to which surprisingly only days later I found that I was enjoying my children so abundantly that I didn't *WANT* to put them to bed!! I know right?!

We did puzzles, played games, did Rod & Staff A-B-C series, we painted, we drew pictures, we glued, we talked, we made things and were creative. Other times we listened to songs, sang and watched valuable DVDs.

I had seasons where I was positive my child needed some sort of medication or extra-help or a diagnosis of somesort... But it always turned out that I was trying to 'control' the learning instead of just letting learning come as it did. Each time after I gave up my theories were proved wrong and the child new what I had shown or taught him. Some days he didn't 'want' to learn and so we would fight or I would do games, activities or circle time. Other days he would be so eager for me to show him something I learnt that I would need to always have things prepared and ready for the spontaniety that that type of learning brings.

As I was trying to find my groove that season would end and we would begin another one to which I would have to discover how to work it all. In the end I discovered the natural learning was best including conversations about anything and everything. The children learnt more about digging, mud, water, gardening and worms then they did colours and shapes.

I found that the season would vary in length anything from a day to a week to a few months. At their ages and stages they don't last long.

During a particular difficult period in my life just recently it was the homeschooling that gave to me what I needed the most. Peace. Joy, Love.

I guess we need to embrace those seasons for what they are worth and go with the flow.


Please Note:
This post was written somewhere in 2010/2011but never published. 
Because it holds clues to homeschooling for me I've chosen to now publish it.
I had no idea it was sitting in drafts until just now. 

No comments:

Speak Your Mind

Powered By Blogger · Designed By Seo Blogger Templates