Wednesday, January 30, 2013

TV as a babysitting device

My children were babysat not too long ago but long ago enough for me to recall the circumstances. And the consequences.

They were allowed to watch 3 hours of television straight. To keep them 'occupied', 'out of the way'.

The following days resulting in a continuation of bad attitudes, boredom and wanting to sit in front of the screen.

I've watched several kids sitting in front of the TV for hours for the same reasons.
You can't speak to them, when mum calls for jobs to be done not one will listen OR obey.

Having a husband addicted to the screen has meant deadened relationships and lack of intimacy.

Watching a bro-in-law addicted to the screen has resulted in a breakdown and separation of marriage.

What is wrong with sending a bunch of kids outdoors to be wild and creative and play? Or to their rooms to read books? Or to the lounge to play a game? Or to the hallway to build with blocks?

Is it that difficult to set up a play area/station for children to get creative without the need for electronic devices?

But what if mum is really tired? Or needs 'time out'? You know what? I get that! I get these questions and I'm often wondering the answers myself.
Here's my answer to you: (my children are currently homeschooled, 6, 4, 3 & 18 months)
# separate the children to different areas for quiet time - often. Regular quiet time results in children knowing what is expected of them and do so happily. SOME even NEED the quiet time, the time away from others.
# give each child an activity or set of activity with instructions to stay in that area. Activities I give my children are school books/coloring in books to my academic lover, blocks or cars or both to my car lover, books or science stuff to the oldest.
# practice often. It doesn't take them long to get the drift of staying in an area playing with what they've got
# observe how they learn to play and interact on a deeper level without the need for electronic entertainment

I get the whole 'you can't bubble wrap your kids' and 'when they leave home they will do everything they couldn't do' thing, but remember this...

One day I will stand on the judgement seat before Jesus Christ, my life and decisions and choices will be displayed, they will be judged, if I were to allow my children to develop screen-addictions with many negatives attached to that then I'm accountable. But if I don't allow those things to occur and they go for them when they leave my home that becomes THEIR choice! And not mine!
Which is what THEY are held accountable for, not me.

My role as a parent isn't to try bubble wrap them or expose them to negative practices of the world.
My role is to raise moral God-fearing believers to the best of my ability and allow them to make their own choices. Good or Bad.


Please Note:
This was written sometime in 2012, when my children were a bit younger than they are now. And I still agree with it!!

No comments:

Speak Your Mind

Powered By Blogger · Designed By Seo Blogger Templates