Thursday, April 25, 2013

5th child comments

I've been reading large family blogs for so many years now that this 5th child has finally made me FEEL like I have a large family. Our 7 seater car is now jam packed quite literally, and my arms are filled with a baby again, much the same as when I had my first child and I used both my arms to hold and cuddle him.

I've been receiving shocked and strange comments since I had two, before my belly showed we were expecting a 3rd. Although shocked comments occurred also when you say "nar not really, my husband is the oldest of 9 children" which makes me seem more normal in a worldly sense.


Large family mums can often get quite sick of the comments, especially the stupid ones like "do you know what causes that?" or "are they all yours?" as if you round up the neighbourhood kids to take grocery shopping with you or of course "you look like you have your hands full" as if having one makes your hands only half full? I don't know, I find them just words people say because they have nothing better to say. I notice more the attitude or tone of voice than the words spoken.

I can often think about the lovely comments I have received and even the ones that I have been surprised by. Like the time two old nanna's were google eyeing my tribe and I off at the Child Health Centre (next to the Senior Citizens), we walked across the car park in a straight line holding hands and held the ladder on our 4wd before I put children into the car. I could hear them talking about us but not what they said, they were allowing me to put the children into the car before they got into their own. They seemed to be enjoying this process of watching me handle these guys. 4 kids 5 years of age and younger.
Then they said it! You certainly have your hands full! Told you! Then she leans over to her friend and says it just reminds me of me when all my FOUR were babies and about the same ages. Turns out we triggered some glorious memories. She told me she missed those days although the workload was hard, no washing machines, no electrical appliances or convenient foods, and no car! They used a buggy (LOL). She commended me on their behaviour, my abilities and willingness to bear so many little ones in such a short period of time.


I remember the lady at church who has 2 make a passing comment about not knowing how I do it with 4 kids and we are having another when she struggles to handle her own 2. I was able to encourage her and let her know that if she was to have another God would give her everything she needed, believing that He wouldn't give us more than we can handle. And I let her in on a tip... I get help when I need it!! Plus going to church with 4 kids... Having two parents, two grandparents and 5-7 Uncles & Aunts makes church outings SO EASY!!

I remember the old man who said it was crazy having so many children. I told him "nar its a lot of fun!".


I often receive comments that my children are really well behaved and obedient. I've been offered toddlers to train because my guys are so well behaved. Actually the truth is I've been told my guys are well behaved and obedient MORE than I have received negative or hateful comments. But we often do not blog or talk about these times, we are more inclined to complain and whine about the negative comments we receive and how we handle them or should handle them or especially the nasty replies we can give in return. Please Note: My guys are not perfect, they are still being trained and have minds of their owns!


My hope is that when I receive a negative comment or shocked comment that I can be encouraging and let it be known that children are a blessing, a special gift, and it is not the number of children one has that makes the difference, it is knowing that each person is special and unique and each is worthy and important and loved. Each of my children fill a purpose in my heart and are wanted by me and my husband. We are in fact living our dream in more ways than many could even imagine. 

Here is a question for you... Why don't you blog about some of the encouraging things people have said about your family and how many children you have :) I think more people would walk away encouraged and joy filled after reading a blog post like that, as opposed to discouraged and angry after reading the nasty stupid things people can say.

5 Things I am Thankful for:
1. Knowing that I am fulfilling a more unique purpose than even I can understand
2. Knowing that I am doing what He designed me to do
3. Fulfilling my hearts dreams and desires
4. Being confident in myself, regardless of the opinions of others
5. Being able to adequately care for my family no matter how hard it can get

No comments:

Speak Your Mind

Powered By Blogger · Designed By Seo Blogger Templates