Sunday, April 21, 2013

Baby Collage

The weather is start to change where I live and I am finding myself
preparing Possum more activities to do indoors. 

Of course this activity isn't restricted to indoors (or babies) 
but it helps keep children busy on such days. 


Let's get our children doing some collage! 

There are many learning benefits to a child doing this activity. 
*builds creativity
*develops a greater awareness of the 'sticky' sensation
*hand/eye coordination
*sense of achievement
*language development
*and lots more!!! 


You really don't need much to prepare your child to start making a collage. 

* clear contact paper
*sticky tape
*scrap items 
(I've used some cut up pieces of tissue paper, felt and coloured mesh) 



I firstly cut and exposed a piece of clear contact and fastened it with the sticky tape so the
sticky side was facing away from the window. 

Possum was initially hesitant to touch the sticky surface but became quite interested in it after awhile. 


I presented her with a collection of scraps that she could use on the clear contact. 



After I demonstrated my expectations, it didn't take her very long before she was 
picking up the pieces and adding them to the sticky contact. 

I would use simple sentences to help her complete this activity. Great for language!
'Pick up the paper....pat, pat, pat'. 



Soon she was adding and pulling off all of the pieces. 

I didn't get upset with her removing some of the pieces as it was her art piece and I wanted to be sure to respect that. It also made it a constantly changing piece of work. 
Everyone who came to visit would comment on Possum's work. 


Possum loved revisiting her work hours/days after it began. Daddy also loved watching her do this task. Also allowed for us to show her praise and encourage her efforts. 

I also introduced to her the idea of scrunching up some of the scrap pieces and adding them to her work. She attempted to add them, however, they didn't stick as easily and she chose against using them.


Such a simple activity for little ones to do. 

Older children can also do this activity!

X Kate

_________________________________

Please leave a comment because I love to hear from you. 

Are you following Laughing Kids Learn at our other locations? 



Icon Icon Icon Icon Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Speak Your Mind

Powered By Blogger · Designed By Seo Blogger Templates