Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Maths - Place Value

For Maths I like to use a variety of resources.
My favourite remains the Math U See (Australia store here) program because of the hands-on approach and the Visual Representation with the:

DVD/Video application,
Block manipulatives plus
workbook.

Having children with differing learning styles I am finding that the Math U See Program caters for all of them. I can then add to the lesson by incorporating other books, games, questioning and so on.

At the end of lessons there are often 'games' that can be played, that are fun and educational and correlate to the lesson and other lessons.

The website also has worksheet generators and drill pages for additional work if needed.


 Here's one on learning place value:



We've been using the Primer, Alpha and Foundations. Foundations is VERY OLD so you can't 'get' it anymore, but still have value in the content. (Foundations is basically Alpha & Beta together.

I like to look at the contents page as a guideline to what the children could be learning and the lesson plans to see how to show them. I can then use this information in regular day-to-day life naturally, bringing maths to life with meaning. For example with saving for China

For Practice I like to play the game "Digits". You have a set of cards with numbers, each player receives two cards for 10's place value three cards for 100's. At the same time turn the cards over, make the largest (or smallest) number you can, use manipulative blocks to build the number. The winner is the one with the highest (or lowest) number. I think there are 4 sets of 0-9 numbers in the pack.



Here's a personal bonus for my family. My Mother-in-Law (ex-homeschooler) has purchased the entire lot in the Australian version and is happy for us to use the lot - making the entire program FREE for us.

If you are not in the place to purchase brand new you can often find second hand books from places such as Aussie Home School classifieds. You must be a member so register and see what you can pick up.

I was not asked to do this nor have I benefited from it in any way nor am I an affiliate. Pity.. ;)



5 Things I am Thankful for:
1. Free Curriculum
2. DVD component
3. Easy approach to Mathematics
4. Systematic Teaching
5. Games. The Games are Great!

No comments:

Speak Your Mind

Powered By Blogger · Designed By Seo Blogger Templates