Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Physcial Education



Physical Education
Living coastal means it is important to me the children have the ability to swim and to swim well.
Especially considering going to the beach is an activity we often enjoy together. Freak waves occur although never where we go. I probably err on the side of safety and caution with so many toddlers to watch but the fact remains, people drown in water.

Being pregnant and having small children (for our family) means that I am more than willing to offload this 'responsibility' and have enrolled the children in a variety of physical activities. I am cool with that!

On a very personal note, I was never very 'good' at team sports and didn't enjoy having to participate in sports at school. For me, it was about the competitiveness and the constant message that what I COULD achieve was never 'good enough', 'fast enough', 'high enough' and I never managed to 'achieve enough'. Basically, I wasn't very good at running or fast which doesn't help in competitive team sports. In my weak defence, I had asthma as a kid so rarely lasted long on track anyway.



So far we have enjoyed:
Dancing
Gymnastics
Kindy Gymnastics
Swimming Lessons

As well as:
Kayaking
Mountain Climbing
Bush Walking
5km Family Walks
Rock Wall Climbing
Back Yard Basket Ball
Bike Riding
Scooters and Skate Boards
Skate Park with bikes, scooters, feet and skate boards
Running
Tee-Ball
and the obligatory Park Plays

Free Swimming
In Western Australia, if you join your homeschool child with a school you can enrol them into swimming lessons for FREE. I am not sure who you would need to contact, I contacted the local swimming pool around the time I knew one of the local Primary Schools were going to be doing swimming. All I needed to do was pack 4 kids in the car, to take 1 child to swimming lessons every day (Monday to Friday) for 2 weeks. During Lunch Time. It was still worth it ;)
(This year (2013) I hope to enrol TWO children into swimming lessons this way)


I find Physical Education an easy area to achieve for both of these children, all I need to do is ferry them to their different classes.

These classes are just one way the children gain social interaction with children around their ages. And one way they get to show off their skills and hard work at the end of the year.


5 Things I am Thankful for:
1. Free Swimming lessons
2. Not having to be involved in these sporting events
3. Ease of passing off this area which is a weakness for me
4. Kids that enjoy sports
5. Kids that have natural talents in some areas

No comments:

Speak Your Mind

Powered By Blogger · Designed By Seo Blogger Templates