Wednesday, July 10, 2013

An Interview with Marcie Aboff

It was an honor and a pleasure meeting one of New Jerseys established children’s authors, Marcie Aboff. 
I am always on the look out for local artists and interesting people. New Jersey has a rich history and there are a lot of famous people who come from our state. So, when I met Marcie for the first time, I knew I had found somebody special. Today, I am lucky to interview and introduce my readers to Marcie Aboff. 
Meeting her was like reconnecting with an old friend. She is very warm, approachable, and modest. We had so many things in common. 
Marcie has been writing for over 25 years. She has written more than 50 fiction and nonfiction picture books, chapter books, activity books, and magazine stories for children from pre-kindergarten - middle school. 
She grew up in New Jersey and started writing very early. Writing was her passion. She even wrote a novel in 5th grade. 
As someone who is interested in the emotional health of children, and teaching parents how to understand children’s emotions I became interested in her “Everyone Feels” series. Children understand her books. 
Also, her “Healthy Eating” series is a top pick for me. These books are based on USDA “My plate” dietary guidelines. They are colorful and engaging.


Q: Where do you get inspiration?
My own children, things I hear and see, memories of when I was a child, things that are important to me.

Q: How much time do you dedicate to writing daily/weekly?
It varies - some days, especially weekends, could be several hours for the day; other days might be minimal. It also depends if I have a deadline I need to meet. I also work at Rutgers University, so it's a juggling act, but I find the time somewhere! 

Q: What was your first book and how was it born?
Uncle Willy's Tickles. 
find
It was first published back in 1998 and it's now in its second edition. I wrote the book after seeing a young  girl on the news who was repeatedly molested  (she also happened to look just like my daughter at the time.)  I found some clinical books on the market about good touches and bad touches, but nothing in a format that would reach out specifically to children, and that any parent/caregiver/teacher would feel comfortable reading to a child. My book is a fiction story and Uncle Willy is really is a 'good' guy. His nieces and nephews think it's funny when he tickles them, but his nephew Kyle - who adores his Uncle - doesn't like the tickling.  I wanted to convey the importance of a child's right to 'own his own body,'  and to express any uncomfortable touches and/or feelings to a loved parent or other trusted adult.  So the book can be read just as is, or taken to the next level to discuss good and bad touches.    

Q: What triggered you to write the healthy eating books for children?
I've always been concerned with children's physical and emotional health, and I think it's important children learn, at a young age, about the importance of how healthy foods will affect them in 'real' terms. For instance, how they play sports, how well they do in school, even how fast they play on their computer games. Eating healthy foods helps children stay alert,  have energy, and feel good and strong.  Plus there's lots of tasty healthy foods to choose from.  

Q: What were you like as a child?
I was somewhat shy, but also very curious. I had a very active imagination. I was so excited when it was 'library time' at school and we got to pick out our own books to read.

Q: What books have most influenced your life most?
When I was younger, I loved books by Judy Blume and short stories by O. Henry. Today,  I like books that make me think or feel and bring out some emotion or intellectual curiosity. I also like books that make me laugh!

Q: If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?
I don't  really have a mentor, but I did have a wonderful high school creative writing teacher who thought I had talent and encouraged me to keep writing.

Q: What book are you reading now?
I'm reading an adult nonfiction book called "Quiet - The Power of Introverts" by Susan Cain 

Q: What are your current projects?
I'm writing a fantasy chapter book about where wishes go called Wish-Wacked. It's a humorous story about a bumbling wish-giver named Sherman who tries to grant earthling wishes from his home on the Wish-Ship. The story also involves a lonely 8-year old earth girl named Becky who wishes on her birthday cake for a 'pet she could play with a talk to and love.'  The chapters alternate with Sherman's attempts at granting Becky's wish, and Becky's unfolding story of her life on earth. 

Q: What’s your favorite from your own books? I know they all might be special but is there one dear to your heart?
You're right - many of them are special in their own way, but The Giant Jelly Bean 

is a fun book that is still selling well 10 years after its publication date and children really like it. I also write magazine stories, and the first story I ever published called the Gift is also very special to  me. It's fiction, but based on my grandmother, and later my mother, who both lost their memories later in life.  

Q: Which writers inspire you?
As mentioned, I especially liked Judy Blume and O. Henry when I was a child.  Current childrens book writers I enjoy include Mo Willems, Gail Carsen Levine, and Gordon Kormon, amongst others. 

Q: Can you give some tips to parents to encourage reading in children?
Have books accessible, whether in the home or the car. Make a visit to the library or bookstore a fun day. Know your child. Find out what interests him, what excites him - maybe your child loves sports or bugs or ballerinas. Bring those books into your home.  Maybe your child likes comics - graphic books are available for all ages now.   

Q: How did you manage writing and being a Mom to three kids? Challenges?
Compartmentalize!  My family is my number one priority, but writing also gives me a sense of purpose. I love being in the writing 'zone' - those times when I'm deeply involved in the writing/creative process and what seems like 10 minutes is actually 2 hours!  My kids are older now, so the juggling is a little easier. But I feel very fortunate to combine things I love to do.


I want to sincerely thank Marcie for the interview


I hope you enjoyed the interview. You can visit Marcie at her website. Don't forget to check out her books. 
Marcie Aboff also does school visits. She is known to have a talent for connecting with kids. Invite her to your school!
Moreover, she now offers personalized "You're the Author" children's events and birthday parties. They are a great way of encouraging a love of books, writing and just having fun. For more details on this click here. 


No comments:

Speak Your Mind

Powered By Blogger · Designed By Seo Blogger Templates