Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Watermelon: facts and recipes

I hope everybody had a happy Fourth. We were hit with rain and fireworks were canceled. 
July is the National Watermelon month in the States. Whether you think a watermelon deserves  a whole month of celebration or even a National Day...enjoy it while it’s in season. 
Watermelon juicy, red and sweet
What a perfect snack for me to eat...

Ella, 4 years old
Did you know that there is actually a National Watermelon Day? Yes, August 3 is that day. But wait there is more. There is actually a watermelon carving contest. If you are creative and skilled in watermelon carving then maybe you should enter. Check out details and some amazing carvings here. The contest is open now till August 4, the day after the National Watermelon Day. To celebrate in our own way the month of watermelon I put together a few resources and easy recipes for your inspiration. Make them with kids. Enjoy them with friends. 
Watermelon is affordable, healthy, delicious and most importantly kids love it. I have never met a kid who doesn’t like watermelon. Did I mention it's also versatile? We are used to eating it as a fruit, cut in chunks but, really, as a vegetable, (yes, watermelon is a vegetable), you can use it in  savory dishes. It goes well with salty feta and pairs well with arugula. For more recipes and ideas visit National Watermelon Promotion Board. 



Some fun facts about watermelon 



As for me, I like things simple. The recipes I am sharing today are super easy to make. Give it a try. You will never look at watermelon the same way again. While preparing this article I have made so many things in the past week with watermelon...I have “spoiled”4 watermelons just for the sake of food photography. 
The watermelon popsicle was my daughter’s favorite. And the best part, because it’s summer you can have it for breakfast. No sugar added, pure fruit. Your kid will scream: “Mommy, you are the best!”
When I was a kid my Mom used to make watermelon rind preserves. They didn’t taste anything like watermelon. But they were delicious. I have to admit-watermelon was not my favorite fruit. I was more of a tomato type. Some people love watermelon so much that they dedicate entire blogs to that. Want to learn more about watermelon? Check out What about Watermelon's site or The National Watermelon Association.








Watermelon Granita



My Grandmother used to say that watermelon eaten on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning helps with weight lose. 


Watermelon pairs with fresh basil and mint. 


These perfect little bites are great for entertaining. All I have used is watermelon, feta and basil. 


Drizzle it with balsamic vinegar and enjoy! 





Refreshing Watermelon Cooler





More Fun Stuff



etsy

etsy

etsy

I hope I have inspired you to see beyond the usual watermelon. I am still dithering to get those shoes or maybe the nails...



Think outside the box. Make something new today with watermelon. Brighten your day and have a bowl. 



I don't even want to count how many times I used the word watermelon in this article...


No comments:

Speak Your Mind

Powered By Blogger · Designed By Seo Blogger Templates